The incumbent in this position performs secretarial, clerical and receptionist support duties necessary for the operations of a patient care unit. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- High school graduate or the equivalent (GED).
- Completion of a Unit Secretary training program or equivalent in experience.
- One year of experience as a Unit Secretary preferred.
- Experience in an acute care facility desirable.
- Familiarity with basic medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to set priorities and organize many functions at the same time for an entire unit.
- Flexibility and calmness required in order to perform a variety of functions in a setting that may be stressful or change unexpectedly due to a patient's condition.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills to relate to patients with varying degrees of illness, staff and visitors.
- Must have the desire to function as a member of a healthcare team.
- Ability to learn and use basic automated systems for inventory, transmission of information and recordkeeping.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.