The incumbent in this position is responsible for intraoperative delivery of patient care in the scrub role and assists Core Leader, OR with orientation, training and supply inventory for a specific surgical specialty consistent with specialty alignment. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- High school graduate or the equivalent (GED).
- Completion of accredited program in surgical technology.
- One year of O.R. experience as Surgical Technologist in an acute care operating room that included the major surgical specialties, i.e., General, GYN, Urology, Neuro, Ortho, ENT, CV, Plastic, preferred.
- Current certification by examination through the Association of Surgical Technologists is preferred.
- Knowledge of surgical specialties, instruments, techniques, procedures, anatomy, and physiology.
- Scrub role competence.
- Must be able to understand the importance of being a member of a specialty team and rotating to other specialties to maintain skills.
- Ability to teach.
- Adaptable to change.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain emotional control and function under stress during emergent and non-emergent situations.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.