Performs a variety o ffunctions to assist the professional staff in the department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Under direct supervision of an occupational therapist (OT), physical therapist (PT) or speech pathologist (SLP), aids patients with therapeutic exercises and/or activities. Upon successfulcompletion of departmental competencies, may independently perform multiple functions that are not related to a patient's plan of care (e.g., transportation of patients) and various program service functions, such as gym set-up to prepare for patient treatment, supplies inventory, etc. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- BS degree in a medical science or exercise science is preferred, but not required. Must complete competencies in a variety of skills when hired and on an annual basis thereafter.
- Entry-level position.
- Basic knowledge of exercise programs; some exposure and experience dealing with a variety of patients is preferred.
- Current CPR certification.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patient, the medical and professional staff, and the public.
- Ability to read, understand and respond to detailed oral and written English language instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Demonstrates knowledge of relevant therapy practices.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Must have the ability to learn and integrate protocols and precautions related to patient treatments.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.