This position is physically located at MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center (7503 Surratts Road, Clinton, MD 20735).
Provides medical management and care to patients in the Department of Medicine, Division of Hospital Medicine. This position will support on-site follow-up visits and consultation service at partnering nursing homes, provide inpatient consultation at MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center, and provide other support as needed. Performs complete medical history and examinations. Administers medications and orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures. Writes orders in charts and gives verbal telephone orders to qualified professional nurses. Reviews laboratory reports, radiographic reports, other diagnostic reports, and consultant reports. Provides telephone coverage for clinical problems called in by patients, nurses, caregivers, and others. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Graduate of accredited PA program.
- State licensure in Maryland as Physician Assistant.
- Credentialed as a member of the MGUH professional staff.
- Three years of PA experience, inclusive of at least one year of directly related experience in internal medicine.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with patients/families, as well as staff and physicians.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
- Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to maintain calm and be effective in emergency situations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a broad spectrum of professionals, including attending physicians, residents, medical students, trainees, support staff, and hospital management.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.