The incumbent in this position acts as one of the initial primary contacts for all outpatient hospital and GPG patients prior to service delivery. He/she is responsible for all outpatient registration activities, which include assessing the patient's financial status, identifying and obtaining a source of payment, gathering sufficient information to facilitate reimbursement, ensuring the information is accurate and complete, and interfacing with insurers and members of the healthcare team. Will require heavy call volume with patients (transferred from departments and outgoing), insurance companies, third-party administrators, physician offices, and employers in order to input correct patient demographics and insurance information, verify eligibility and identify and obtain referral and authorization needs prior to the patient's scheduled appointment date. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations with MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Associate's degree preferred.
- Three years of related office experience, preferably in outpatient registration and insurance verification.
- Excellent telephone etiquette and interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Basic computer skills and an ability to type at least 40 WPM.
- Knowledge of the GE/IDX scheduling/registration system and/or other automated scheduling/registration system preferred.
- Knowledge of medical and insurance terminology is a plus.
- Ability to perform in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Problems presented may require advanced analytical skills and highly developed communication/service delivery skills in order to successfully handle anxious or confused patients.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.