The Patient Advocates act as impartial members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team to identify, assess and refer issues or concerns of patients, families or providers in all care settings within MGUH and the physician group practice. By acting as the "voice" of the patient and family, the advocates ensure that concerns or perceptions are heard in order to work toward a resolution in the provision of high-quality care. The Patient Advocates identify, assess and refer issues or concerns appropriately when there is a potential risk to the patient, provider or the organization. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MGUH philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- BSN or BA/BS degree in health care-related field.
- Minimum of four years of experience in health care, consumer advocacy, patient relations or related field.
- Willingness to certify for Notary Public in the District of Columbia.
- Demonstrated experience with patients and families in an inpatient setting.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and multicultural environment.
- Ability to defuse stressful situations and resolve issues.
- Well-developed listening, interpretative and conciliation skills.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.