MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
Coordinates activities with the Attending Physician as assigned. The primary responsibilities of the position will be the following: assisting in communications with patients; triaging patients and patient issues, symptom management, and teaching patient regarding their disease process and treatment. Assures the monitoring and confirmation of service delivery and evaluation of health care services for patients and patient families. Collaborates with the multi-disciplinary team, utilizing clinical outcome data to support innovative and cost-effective changes to practice and to the health care system. The functions of expert practice, consultation, professional development, research and leadership are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: BSN required. Master’s of Science in Nursing –preferred
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION:Licensed as an R.N. in the District of Columbia.
- EXPERIENCE:Five years of relevant clinical experience. Ambulatory Care and Oncology preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated expertise in area of Oncology Specialty.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
- Provides direct and indirect care in area of specialization to patients and families, and objectively and systematically evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care delivery.
- Collaborates and coordinates with physicians and all disciplines involved in the patient’s care to assure timely progress toward the best clinical outcome in the most cost effective manner.
- Provides symptom management strategies to a defined patient population in collaboration with physician.
- Triages patient telephone inquiries and provides consultations as needed.
- Provides extensive patient education regarding disease process, treatment plan, and symptom management. Expertise in specialty area enables RN to triage and assess patients in order to provide optimum level of care. Assists patients and families through disease process and along cancer diagnosis continuum.
- Assists patients with authorizing and precertification of insurance coverage for tests as ordered as part of the treatment plan.
- Serves to problem solve; focusing on operational issues that may impede patient outcomes in a timely manner.
- Ensures development and implementation of effective discharge plans and concurrently and retrospectively reviews patients for medical appropriateness and risk management issues.
- Works closely with research nursing staff to ensure collection of cost, quality and outcome data utilizing good research methodology.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.