NICU Family Support Specialist
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Reporting to the NICU clinical manager, the incumbent in this position is a member of an interdisciplinary healthcare team that provides optimal developmental and psychosocially appropriate care for pediatric patients and their families in the NICU. The NICU Family Support Specialist provides information and comfort to families affected by a NICU stay, facilitates professional development for NICU staff, and promotes best practices in neonatal family-centered care. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- A degree in Social Work, Education, Nursing, Public Health, or related field (Master's preferred); or license to practice as a Registered Nurse (neonatal experience preferred).
- Basic knowledge of the emotional and medical issues inherent in a NICU hospitalization.
- Demonstrated ability to engage parents, families and staff while respecting appropriate boundaries.
- At least 2 years of work experience delivering services to parents and families in a NICU or other inpatient pediatric or similar setting AND/OR experience as a NICU parent.
- Ability to assess and interact with families, applying theories of human growth and development, family systems and cultural diversity.
- Ability to have in-depth understanding of the effects of hospitalization on family dynamics.
- Ability to represent and communicate role of NICU Family Support Specialist to others.
- Knowledge of family-centered care and best practices in this area.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equal opportunity for all candidates for employment and employees.
Career, Employment, Jobs, Opening, Shift, Schedule, Staff, Department, Unit, Office, Occupation, Compensation, Salary, Benefits, Description, Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, Full Time, Part Time, PRN, Per Diem, Hospital, Health Care, Clinic, Healthcare, Physician, Medical, Clinical, Registered Nurse, RN, Peds, Pediatrics, Pediatric, Child, Children, PICU, NICU, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Neonate, Neonatology, Perinatal, BSN, Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, MSN, Master's Degree in Nursing, Counselor, Counseling, MSW, M.S.W., BSW, B.S.W., SW, NASW, LCSW, LICSW, National Association for Social Workers, Behavioral, Mental Health, Psychiatric, Psychiatry, Psychological, Psychology, Psych
Child Life Education Specialist | Pediatrics - Child Life | Full Time, 8 AM - 5 PM | Job #32783
Anesthesia Technician I | Anesthesia | Full Time, Evenings | Job #32732
Echocardiographic Technologist | Echocardiography | Full Time, 7 AM - 4 PM | Job #32693
International Services Coordinator - Arabic | Advocacy & International Services | Full Time, 9 AM - 5:30 PM | Job #32679
Electroneurodiagnostic Technician | Neurology | Full Time, 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday | Job #32666
Oncology Genetics Counselor | Hematology/Oncology | Full Time, 8 AM - 4:30 PM | Job #32556
Ophthalmic Technician | Ophthalmology | Full Time, Days | Job #32401
Emergency Services Support Assistant | Emergency Department | Full Time, Days | Job #32334
Cardiovascular Technologist / Radiology Technologist | Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory | Full Time, Days | Job #32145
Rehabilitation Technician | Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation - Outpatient/Inpatient | PRN / Per Diem, Days | Job #32697