MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is responsible for the provision of direct nursing care and the administration of medications as assigned by the Registered Nurse and in accordance with the established plan of nursing care. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Practical Nursing. Successful completion of a pharmacology course.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse. BLS required.
- EXPERIENCE:Minimum of six months, one year preferred, of related experience as a LPN, in an acute care facility.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Ability to perform basic nursing technologies. Good verbal andwritten communication skills. Good interpersonal skills. Successful completion of the Nursing Department Medication test according to policy. Successful completion of clinical supervision of medication administration.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
- Organizes, prioritizes and cares for groups of patients under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Provides direct nursing care to patients as assigned which includes administration of medications, transcription of physician's orders, and performs activities of daily living including, among others bathing, mouth care, feeding patients, range of motion, walking patients and transporting patients, in accordance with Nursing Department/Hospital policies and procedures.
- Performs sterile and nonsterile treatments in accordance with Hospital policy, including but not limited to: tube feedings, ostomy care, Foley catheter insertion/care, hang/monitor/regulate IV’s, TPN and site care, maintenance of drainage tubes with/without pump or suction, chest physiotherapy, dressing changes and wound care, oxygen administration, suctioning, and blood/glucose monitoring.
- Reports changes in patient status to the RN and members of the health care team as they occur and communicate information in verbal and written reports that describe care delivered to the patient.
- Collaborates with the RN on an on-going basis regarding effective nursing interventions and patient care.
- Participates in the orientation of staff members/students as designated by the Nursing Coordinator and participates in continuing education.
- Contributes to the implementation of the unit objectives and performance improvement activities.
- Maintains a safe and orderly patient/unit environment.
- Works primarily with adult and geriatric patients, but may work with adolescent, pediatric and neonatal patients as necessary.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.