Responds to inquiries from consumers, physicians and employees for information about MedStar Georgetown University Medical Center physicians, clinical services, research studies, and health education classes. Working independently with minimal supervision, must be able to utilize the nursing process, assess callers' needs quickly and efficiently, provide healthcare counseling with appropriate information and referral. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- EXPERIENCE: 3-5 years of nursing experience.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer skills with word-processing abilities required. Must possess good assessment skills with knowledge of the nursing process. Must be able to prioritize responsibilities and tasks well, perform multiple tasks concurrently and be unfailingly courteous in all interactions with callers, other professionals and staff members. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and telephone manner.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to inquiries via healthcare referral telephone lines (including TDD for hearing-impaired) and written requests. Utilizes current nursing and medical knowledge, the nursing process, personal clinical expertise, written resources, and computerized database. Provides clients with appropriate health counseling and referrals to physicians, services and classes. Obtains demographic information from callers, schedules appointments as appropriate and/or assists callers with class registration.
- Responds to inquiries, recruits and screens applicants for clinical trials/studies, documents results, and communicates appropriate information to responsible departments.
- Generates follow-up letters with appropriate accompanying educational materials and responds to daily mail requests. Assists Director, Healthcare Referral in maintaining databases, as indicated.
- Answers Physician Access calls from referring physicians and/or office personnel, makes appropriate referrals, sends requested follow-up information, and facilitates communication with consulting faculty physicians. Maintains and improves knowledge of current/new clinical programs, medical trends and developments, and newly appointed physicians at the Medical Center.
- Answers calls for Executive Registry program, assessing needs and making appropriate referrals to EXR on-call primary care physicians and/or specialists. Facilitates scheduling of timely appointments and provides additional assistance as indicated. Maintains EXR caller log and appropriate computer documentation.
- Exemplifies Guest and Staff Relations standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.