Responsible for patient meal service food on assigned units, e.g., menu selections, tray assembly, tray delivery and pick-up, special requests and needs, and in-between meal food delivery. Communicates patient food issues/concerns and needs to appropriate persons within the Food and Nutrition department. Interacts with nursing personnel with regard to patient nutrition needs or requirements. Assists Dietitian with monitoring of patients' NPO, clear liquid and full liquid diets and records food intake for patients on intake analysis. Sets up, prepares and delivers food for catering events. Acts as a liaison between Food Services and the hospital staff and external customers. Sets up, prepares, delivers, and serves to retail customers in the Brown Bag and CCC cafeterias and the physician lounges. Handles customer service complaints and informs management of problems or concerns. Operates cash registers in compliance with cash-handling procedures. Maintains all equipment in a safe and sanitary manner in compliance with HACCP guidelines and all applicable laws and regulatory agency regulations. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required. Completion of Sanitation and Food Handlers course preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: One to two years of food preparation experience. Large-scale food preparation and/or hospital dietary experience desirable. Catering experience preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: Knowledge of a variety of foods, their preparation, and serving etiquette. Ability to handle heavy workload. Basic knowledge of sanitary methods used in food preparation. Knowledge of safety precautions and HACCP procedures in cooking food preferred. Must be able to follow directions, understand written and oral instructions, and have basic mathematical skills. Must be courteous and tactful in dealing with customers. Must be able to exercise good judgment and initiative in satisfying customer requests. Must meet competency requirements for patient dietary needs.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Makes daily rounds to assigned nursing units, communicates with staff and patients, collects menus, and checks menus for accuracy and completeness. Receives and prints diet sheets from SMS and distributes to appropriate catering personnel daily. Prints and distributes change orders as appropriate.
- Assists patients in meal selection and completion of menu as needed, taking preferences and special diets into account. Enters menu selections for non-catering floors into the Computrition system, prints out menus and meal tickets, and distributes to appropriate persons. Updates Computrition with any other relevant patient information as necessary. Must display knowledge of all therapeutic diets.
- Assembles meal trays while strictly adhering to mealtime schedules affecting service to patients and customers.
- Accurately serve trays, making sure that each tray is delivered to the appropriate person at the right time, while carefully observing the patient's right to privacy and consideration.
- Ensures that each of the food items placed on the tray meets the standards for appearance, temperature, and accuracy.
- Collects patient meal trays and documents food intake as ordered.
- Answers phone calls from the nursing units calling to make any last-minute changes to patient's diet and communicates changes to the Catering Associates. Communicates any patient problems and concerns to the appropriate persons.
- Performs dipper and runner position responsibilities. Works in dish room. Delivers floor stock and nourishments to drop-off units.
- Follows recipes for salad, sandwich, and dessert preparation.
- Sets up dessert and sandwich, beverage refrigeration, snack and condiment stations, and all other stations, including hot food items and disposable products.
- Uses all the displays for the flavors being served for yogurt, soup, and any other specials.
- Verifies cashiers box and properly programs register (if needed) five minutes prior to meal service.
- Maintains orderly uniform and personal grooming habits while working efficiently as a team member.
- Sets up and prepares food for catering events per established orders and timeframes.
- Delivers necessary materials and food to the appropriate area.
- Ensures that food items, utensils, and decorative items placed on the table meet the standards for temperature and appearance according to established protocols.
- Handles customer service complaints; informs appropriate management of problems and/or concerns of guests.
- Maintains proper standards of sanitation by daily cleaning of the work area: refrigerators, food carts, etc., and sweeps and mops the kitchen and food preparation area.
- Gives completed catering slips to appropriate employee to ensure correct and immediate billing for catering services.
- Exemplifies Commitment to Caring (patient experience service standards and SPIRIT values, and actively participates in patient safety standards and tasks) standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.