Responsible for a variety of cleaning tasks that include maintaining clean and sanitary conditions in all Nutrition Services areas. May include dishwashing, pot washing, general sanitation, and cleaning and use of kitchen equipment. May assist in the service and storage of food. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: High school diploma or equivalent (GED) desirable. Completion of eighth grade education required.
- EXPERIENCE: Three months to a year of experience in public contact or food service.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITES: Ability to read and write at an eleventh grade level and to follow written and oral instructions. Ability to work different equipment: dish machine, slicer, etc. Must be willing to perform a variety of tasks. Should have an interest in food preparation and service and an understanding of the necessity for high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and neatness. Must be courteous and tactful in dealing with customers. Must be able to exercise good judgment and initiative in making last-minute changes, satisfying customers' requests. Must understand and follow all safety procedures.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains proper standards of sanitation and cleaning of work area daily—dish machine, refrigerators, food carts, counters, food display cases, equipment, etc. Sweeps and mops the kitchen. Cleans and sanitizes all areas after meal period (tables, counters, carts, trays, tray covers, dishes, flatware, soda box, and trash cans).
- Delivers par stock supplies to identified units and cleans as per department policy and procedures.
- Operates and cleans dish machine and assigned equipment per department procedures, including routine sanitizer solution, lime scale removal and temperatures checks.
- Reports needed maintenance or repairs of equipment used.
- Transports garbage and recyclable materials to assigned areas.
- Communicates any customer-related problems to appropriate personnel.
- Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures.
- Maintains a clean, sanitary working environment.
- Completes all daily, weekly or monthly reports as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures on a timely basis, meeting all prescribed deadlines.
- Identifies and utilizes cleaning chemicals following directions recommended by manufacturers and per departmental standards.
- Utilizes equipment in performing job functions according to department safety procedures.
- Maintains orderly uniform and personal grooming habits while working efficiently as a team member.
- Must be able to follow basic oral and written directions as given by members of the management staff.
- Exemplifies Commitment to Caring (patient experience service standards and SPIRIT Values and actively participates in patient safety standards and tasks) standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.