Directs all media relations activities on behalf of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Designs media and social media strategies and develops media products (press releases, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, scripts, press conferences, press briefings, etc.) to maximize media exposure of MGUH clinical services and staff. Builds solid working relationships with media representatives and is proactive in initiating media contacts and events. Assumes responsibility for all media-related functions in the department in the absence of the Vice President, Public Affairs and Marketing. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Knowledge of public affairs, communications and media relations as would normally be acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications.
- A Master's degree in a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of journalism or media relations experience, two of which are in health care or a research-related environment.
- Some experience working with the business press is preferred.
- Must possess outstanding news judgment and understanding of healthcare and clinical issues.
- Ability to think and plan strategically relative to media activities.
- Job requires a high level of problem solving due to the complexity of the situations encountered.
- Internal contacts with senior executives and physicians to effectively advise, consult or counsel others to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas, actions and program initiatives.
- Work assignments are generally received in the form of broad goals for area(s) of responsibility and require considerable judgment regarding the interpretation of policies, development of procedures, and selection of appropriate courses of action.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.