The incumbent in this position is responsible for preparation of foods for patients by utilizing production standards, portion control, and standardized recipes. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Completion of eighth grade and two years of food preparation training/experience. High school diploma and/or GED desired.
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of food preparation experience. Large-scale food preparation and/or hospital dietary experience desirable.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Some knowledge of a variety of foods, their preparation, and serving. Basic knowledge of sanitary methods to be used in food preparation. Knowledge of safety precautions and procedures in cooking food. Must be able to understand written and oral instructions. Must have basic mathematical skills.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Checks menus in advance and alerts Storeroom Clerk to pull and thaw frozen foods.
- Ensures that foods are at the proper temperature for service.
- Prepares as required all foods indicated on production sheets using standardized recipe cards and standard portions.
- Schedules food preparation so that items such as vegetables, meats, and grilled foods are prepared in small batches.
- Utilizes leftovers to eliminate waste.
- Utilizes proper methods for storing leftovers.
- Sanitizes work area and utensils as used.
- Checks equipment and cooking area to ascertain safety and sanitation requirements.
- Exemplifies Commitment to Caring (patient experience service standards and SPIRIT values, and actively participates in patient safety standards) standards in all activities.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.