The incumbent in this position is responsible for the overall co-direction of the histocompatibility laboratory, including technical supervision, scientific oversight of the laboratory, and personnel competency and proficiency. These functions are performed in accordance all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- MD and/or PhD.
- Board-certified ABHI Diplomat or equivalent board approved by HHS, and qualification as HLA Laboratory Director defined by CAP and ASHI accreditation.
- Minimum of 5 or more years of experience in the field of histocompatibility, immunogenetics and transplant immunology supporting transplant programs and other clinical programs.
- Serves as a resource to the technical staff and ensures quality control/quality assurance and regulatory compliance for the laboratory.
- Must be qualified to fulfill the positions of histocompatibility laboratory director, technical supervisor and clinical consultant for solid organ and hematopoietic cell transplantation programs.
- Additional responsibilities include clinical test analysis and sign-out, quality control, innovation and test development, interactions with clinical colleagues, and teaching of residents and medical and graduate students.
- While research is not required for this track, opportunities for collaborative clinical research may exist.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in laboratory operations.
- Must be able to remain calm and tactful when resolving problems involving all levels of staff, patients, visitors, vendors, etc.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.