Monitors the care and services delivered to selected patient populations during the acute hospital stay, promotes effective utilization of resources, and assumes a leadership role with the interdisciplinary team to achieve optimal clinical and resource outcomes for the pre-hospital, acute and post-hospital phases of care. Develops and maintains a positive work climate, and supports the overall team effort of the health system. The functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Master's degree in Social Work.
- Licensed as a Social Worker in the District of Columbia.
- Three years of clinical experience in an acute care setting.
- Utilization management and/or case management experience preferred.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage information for the purpose of setting goals and measuring success.
- Willingness and ability to explain case management, managed care and reimbursement concepts and requirements to patients, families and staff.
- Willingness and ability to coach colleagues and new staff in areas of professional expertise.
- Ability to determine when a referral to other departments is required by the patient's clinical, social or financial situation.
- Ability to interact with clinical departments as necessary to clarify components of the treatment or discharge plan.
- Ability to maintain effective communication with all members of the care team: patient, family and hospital colleagues.
Skill and proficiency in applying highly technical principles, concepts and techniques that are central to the healthcare professions.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.