Performs a variety of patient care-related activities to assist physicians, physician extenders and nursing staff in the ambulatory setting. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- High school graduate or equivalent GED.
- Completion of Nursing Assistant/Medical Assistant course strongly preferred.
- Phlebotomy training/certification preferred.
- One year of experience in healthcare setting, preferably an outpatient setting.
- Experience with electronic health records preferred.
- Certification by an accredited professional organization, i.e., National Healthcareer Association (NHA), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), or American Medical Technologists (AMT), preferred. If not certified at the date of hire, must do so within six months of hire date.
- CPR certification required.
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment.
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and as directed.
- Skill in taking vital signs, maintaining records and recording results.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patient, medical staff and the public.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to read, understand and respond to detailed oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.