As a strategic partner, aligns business objectives with management and associates in designated business units. Acts as business unit champion and change agent. Assesses and anticipates all human resources-related needs. Communicates needs proactively and formulates partnerships across the Human Resources functions and the organization to deliver value-added services to management and associates that reflect the business objectives of the organization. Serves as a consultant to management on human resources-related issues. Works collaboratively and seamlessly with other Human Resources partners to manage volume and absences as needed. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Industrial Psychology, Business Administration, or related area. Master’s degree preferred.
- PHR, SPHR or other related certifications preferred.
- 3-5 years of professional human resources experience, preferably as an HR Generalist and preferably in a hospital or healthcare setting.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and the ability to think abstractly and analytically.
- Strong conflict management skills. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others inside and outside the organization to accomplish objectives and to build and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships, leverage information and achieve results.
- Strong persuasive and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and guide group efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and manage multiple or ongoing programs/projects. Ability to direct the related resources, personnel and activities.
- Computer proficiency.
- Ability to manage multiple business units in multiple locations while successfully handling conflicting priorities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Employee Relations: Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with employee relations or legal department as needed/required. Works with HR leader to address legal issues. Assists with EEOC investigations and position statements. Represents the appropriate MedStar company at unemployment hearings and/or other employment-related hearings or investigations. Consistently drives and promotes a positive work culture. Develops open communication and rapport with leaders and associates. Provides guidance and interpretation to leaders and associates related to HR, departmental and other organizational policies. Documents and maintains employee relationship records and reports for fair and consistent practices, including, but not limited to, reporting on corrective actions. Ensures performance improvements plans are conducted in a fair and uniform way, coaching managers and associates as needed. Consults on reductions in force, acquisitions and company transfers, developing materials and communications accordingly.
- Operation/Strategic Partnership: Conducts regular meetings with respective business units. Consults with line management, providing HR guidance when appropriate. Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies and to make recommendations. Partners with Compensation in reviewing requests for new positions, reclassifications and equity requests to ensure end-to-end process completion.
- Employee Engagement: Partners with leaders on associate action planning, assisting with the development of action plans and execution. Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies to review ongoing and long-term employee engagement.
- Departmental Operations: Serves as liaison between associates, management and all other HR functions (HRIS, payroll, benefits, and compensation). Handles complex or sophisticated Human Resources matters or projects as needed. Recommends policy changes and/or suggests improvements to current practices and processes. Assist in audits of licensure and certification and other compliance matters in support of leadership. Prepares for regulatory and/or accreditation surveys of the facilities supported.
- Data Management: Serves as the PeopleSoft expert, processing data to ensure accurate internal transfers and promotions, salary changes and various other HRIS transactions. Manages the PeopleSoft worklist. Educates managers and associates on PeopleSoft transactions and the use of Self-Service. Manages data validation, including job requisitions and terminations. Troubleshoots problems in the PeopleSoft system, researching and investigating historical data to determine resolution.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
MedStar Health is an Equal Opportunity (EO) Employer and assures equal opportunity for all applicants and employees. We hire people to work in different locations, and we comply with the federal, state and local laws governing each of those locations.
A qualified individual with a disability will be considered for employment on the same basis as non- disabled applicants if he/she can perform the essential functions of the job sought, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without imposing a direct threat to the health or safety of others or him/herself.